You need to be brave to change and even braver to lead change
There are a lot of cutting edge events for Event Organisers happening in the calendar over the next 12 months and I urge conference organisers to seek out the ones that do things differently. You will see the conferences that discuss new formats and new delivery: they will look different, fresh and innovative.
There will also be a lot of Events for Event Organisers that aren’t doing anything different. So please do yourself and your industry a favour and avoid them. In order to help you here are ten things to look out for if you are attending any ‘industry events’ in the next 12 months:
1. The integration of Hybrid formats
2. If they haven’t used a traditional websites for the conference
3. Not using traditional advertising for the conference
4. The Conference openly saying they are paying speakers
5. Conferences where they offer free training for speakers
6. Organisations properly briefing their speakers and ensuring they meet them before you see them speak!
7. Conferences with a variety of formats on the day
8. Conferences with more involvement from the delegates before, during and after the event
9. Social Media playing a much more active role in the event
10. Conferences thinking about and structuring your learning before, during and after
If you aren’t seeing more than half a dozen of this list don’t attend the event. Because in a couple of years time that will be the reaction of your own delegates. And as an organiser, if you want to decide your own fate you have to be in control of it.